Skip to main content

Court presentation ready for suit against landlord

It’s one thing to file papers about a thing, it’s another thing to talk about them — particularly, in an adversarial context.

This post presents a document I created that outlines my case against my former landlord, Richard Smith [see Civil complaint filed against landlord for sexual harassment, battery]. It provides a detailed roadmap for my presentation in court, including the general procedure, case summary, opening statement, testimony, legal standards, damages calculation, closing statement, and potential rebuttals. In other words, it’s the script, and it contains the lines I’m supposed to say as the actor playing the part of ‘plaintiff.’

It provides even more details regarding my claims than the complaint itself, both of which allege uninhabitable living conditions, sexual harassment, physical assault, and financial damages. It cites the specific Indiana laws violated, such as Indiana Code § 32-31-8-5 (landlord obligations) and the Indiana Fair Housing Act. It provides verbiage for my request for $4,550 in damages, which includes my security deposit and rent paid for periods when the property was allegedly uninhabitable.

The document is primarily proposed discourse, all of it in quotes, which I will read from in court, if asked. Its strengths can be described as a clear, concise explanations of events, evidence, and legal arguments. It includes strategies for addressing potential counterarguments and emphasizes the importance of focusing on relevant legal issues. It is a well-structured presentation, in that it aims to provide a compelling case for the court to rule in my favor in a way that demonstrates a thorough preparation for the legal proceedings.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Bush v Smith - Court Presentation by James Alan Bush on Scribd

  

On August 13th, 2024, at 9:30 a.m., a hearing on my motion for a protective order will be heard [see Restraining order filed against landlord, demands surrender of firearms]. A separate court presentation document is planned.

Today, I plan to go to the City-County Building to request police records, detailing the incident involving the battery.