Thursday, February 27, 2020

READER | Is it demonic possession or mental illness?

About this post
This post is my reply to a comment regarding my answer to a question posted to Quora (whew!), specifically, How can I cast a demon out of a room? It's a partial reply, in that not all of her questions and concerns were addressed. I intend to supplement this post with more as time permits.


What's not working...
Her issues are not small, and they warrant much more than the "Dear Abby" format afforded by Quora and this blog. It's not that I can't answer her questions; it's just that they are loaded with major world concerns. What's at stake are the souls of two people, both of whom clearly can't make sense for themselves, let alone each other.


What's working...
And, yet, love conquers all, even still and even though. The person making the comment is definitely in love with the subject of her comment. So, there's a way, so long as there is a will. If that same will is demonstrated by the subject, then the benefits of the effort to rectify his mistakes will be mutual. We're dealing with two different kinds of lost: we have the man who abandoned God in word and deed and by explicit and outward effort; we have a woman whose lifelong lukewarm reception of God has left her powerless over her (and his) problem, although she does at least acknowledge the solution (unlike the guy).


If she is to help him, she is going to have to shore up the deficits in her faith; if he's open to receive her love, then he becomes her motivation for seeking God. That's how she would be saved by saving him (since both need saving, as I implied).


Anyway, here's the comment and my reply so far:

My reply to a question that, essentially, asks, "What's the difference between a crazy person and a demon-possessed one?"
The (verbatim) comment
My friend is possessed. I haven't fully ruled out mental illness bc I'm not a psychologist. However, I dont think he's crazy or skitzo or whatever. Bc he tells me things that later apply heavily to my own life when he's not around. Like confirmation.

He hasn't tried to hurt me. But he has expressed that he doesnt like for me to say Jesus's name. He has clearly been dabbling in some kinds of satanic rituals. There are clear signs: an alter with skulls and talismans; a sword I have seen blood on; mention of blood sacrifices of animals; crystals and colored candles and incense throughout the house; a 666 tattoo he doesn't remember getting. Idk if that's how he became possessed or if that is a symptom of the possession.

Anyhow, the other night at his home, I was briefly possessed. I remember very little of what I said or exactly what happened. But I remember feeling powerful & electric. Then I started speaking to him about where I stand- with Jesus Christ. After that blurry talk, I went outside for fresh air & he came out with me. He got me in my car. Once I came to, he kind of fled from me back into his house. I left, but I came back bc I was so confused. That's how I found out what happened exactly. He TOLD ME I WAS POSSESSED.

But, in hindsight, I believe the purpose of this possession was to make me reveal that I still stood in Christ. Bc, while he knew this from the beginning, he has been trying to convince me that Jesus doesnt exist. He also tries to convince me that the devil doesn't exist. My answer to his arguments is that I know that these powers exist bc I have seen them at work. I do know that the name of Jesus has power on Earth. That is why it upsets him.

I will be honest & say that I'm totally fascinated by the things he tells me. He has been sharing with me what he calls “forbidden knowledge" in which I have to attain an understanding of. The two equal wisdom. But some things just dont click. I believe those are lies. So, I do believe there is some truth to his words.

He doesnt spend time around many other people. With the exception of short visits. It's like strangers are drawn to him. But he keeps me around and talks to me about the changes he's experiencing & this “knowledge.”

Am I in this position to cast the demon out of him? I feel this is a powerful spirit. It almost made me question my own beliefs.

Hence the revealing possession mentioned before. I dont believe he has the power to hurt me, as I am of God. And he is very careful with me. He tells me to be careful with him as well & to “play nice.” By “play nice," I believe he speaks of not calling on Jesus or using His power.

Since I am here & nobody else would be able to get this close or this deep, is it my purpose to cast out the demon? Is it part of the plan? Maybe I need this practice for later. God works in mysterious ways. However, I have no full understanding of the powers at play.

Only that it is demonic energy & it is draining to be around for too long. Being in his home is like a whole different time zone. Time moves faster. A day can feel like only a few hours. I get trapped there, listening and watching. I am free to leave, of course. However, I get entranced. Like time isnt real & I absorb all of this information. Not only is this draining, but it gives me extreme headaches.

Some things have been revelational, changing the way I now see the world. I now feel I recognize evil more often in more forms. But the problem is still that whatever is controlling him is not himself. He told me that he killed himself & burned all of that self's possessions and pictures. So, I believe he made a conscious choice to go through this change. However, he only mentioned it briefly as to what's in it for him.

He said that God made this his fate & he will receive spiritual blessings of great magnitude. He didnt say exactly what they are. But he did say that he was taking his time to finish what he must do and that most people would be rushing toward the end to receive their gifts.

I just need some spiritual advice. I know there will be people that say I'm just as crazy as him & we should be locked in the nuthouse. But they are in denial about the true nature of life on Earth. This is something all of our ancestors knew to exist. Denying it doesnt make it disappear. And I feel that I, specifically, have been placed in this unique situation for a big reason.

I'm the only one he spends so much time with. He calls me “the last of the Mohicans.” So, if someone with deep Godly wisdom can confirm anything for me and/or give me some tips on how to beat this spirit without anyone getting hurt, it will be greatly appreciated.

My (partial) reply
A couple of thoughts:

Your difficulty in assessing the situation stems from a serious flaw in logic. Mental illness and demon possession are not mutually exclusive; they can co-exist, but neither rules out the other. Moreover, is it possible that a highly stressful scenario such as demon possession could be the root cause of mental illness? If you knew as much as I did, you’d assume that mental illness is a sign of demonic possession (either in the past and/or ongoing in the present)—not a precursor to it.

Make sure you also understand that most of the brain damage inflicted by demons on people (for the purposes of control, etc.) are either disguised as or mistaken as mental illness. I can tell the difference because I’ve been looking at the problem HARD for over eight years; but, generally, most people would not know the difference. Even still, here are some general guidelines:
  • Does he provide for himself all six basic life needs (housing, medical care, transportation, employment, food and clothing)? If so, you can rule out mental illness.
  • Can he carry a conversation from start to finish with strangers in a pleasant and comfortable manner? If so, you can rule out mental illness.
  • Does he have steady hygiene habits that he practices on a daily basis (weighs himself; bathes frequently; takes vitamins daily; cleans teeth after every meal)? Again, all signs of a perfectly healthy mind, especially if all three are actually in place.
Regardless, the starting point of your help begins with the “reality” of the person in distress—and that reality, as it were, is too big for you (or your friend) to handle alone. You need people; but, people are definitely not what you have at your disposal.

I know demons, in-and-out. They cut people off from each other, either wittingly, unwittingly, willingly and unwillingly because, to be a significant influence in someone’s life in a short period of time (particularly, when high stakes are involved), you have to limit their interaction with other, contrary or obfuscating influences. Help is not on the way.

So, you’re probably asking, Do I give up on the name of Jesus thing or what? I’d say that, unless you’re ready to make some big changes that you never intend to stop making, absolutely. The maker of the ear and mouth has no problem hearing the words formed by your lips; but, the maker of the brain and the knower of the heart cannot be fooled. Neither Jesus nor God are genies; calling on His name is tantamount to the biggest waste of time for non-believers and those not actively engaged in the work of the Lord. You may know of Jesus, but you do not have a comprehensive, documented and witnessed practice of faith; accordingly, calling on His name is of none effect unless doing so is necessary to facilitate your role in His plan.

In sum, you're being toyed with on two levels:
  1. Your friend is beginning a series of “drama maneuvers” on you, which are designed to establish control over your behavior and thinking when he’s around. Telling you what to say and what not to say is absolutely never acceptable in any relationship. The name of Jesus never hurt anyone, ever. It’s not like you’re calling him a traitor to his own people or something. Rule of thumb for interactions from now on: your tongue is bridled by no man but your man (Jesus).
  2. Your friend seeks to diminish your confidence in Jesus, and establish a confidence in him instead. Calling to Jesus didn’t work, as you can see, he wants you to note; calling on my demons to see your future (or whatever you said he was doing) does work.
The purpose of this toying is to lead you away from the voice of the Saviour and towards the voice of his inner demon. The demon inside him saw easy prey in a woman who has little or nothing to do with Jesus but a passing, relatively uninterested and not-at-all motivating affection now and again.

Look to prove me right in all your future dealings with him. I bet no matter what he says or does, nothing will exactly disprove or counter what I’ve told you here.

Murder, Satan wrote | “They popped a cork on you…”

"Rock him off" and "Cash him in" are both phrases used to describe murder, or at least acts likely to lead to death, in ...